Taste the Goodness of Your All-Time Favorite SLERS Products at Affordable Prices
Before becoming a household name, SLERS started as a personal hobby of Ofelia Cosin Pelaez, or “Fely” as she is known to her friends and family. In 1969, Fely learned to make traditional smoked country hams in her home in Bukidnon. Soon after, friends and family began buying her hams for Christmas dinners.
Fely’s American-style ham became so popular that it quickly transformed from a simple hobby of a school teacher to a cottage industry, and eventually a family business that has become synonymous with high-quality hams and other meat products.
The name SLERS is actually an acronym of the nicknames of all five of Fely’s children; Shirley, Litlit, Earl, Ray, and Sharon. It was in 1987 when Fely and her husband moved to Cagayan de Oro to retire and Fely’s daughter, Litlit, or Mercedes Pelaez Mejia, took over the business.
The Transformation of SLERS Hams to a Multi-Product Enterprise
By the late 80s, SLERS began offering more than just American-style hams. With Litlit at the helm, SLERS started producing more diverse products, which began with the introduction of the SLERS Tocino, even though her mom Fely was initially against the idea.
Today, SLERS is one of the most successful family-owned companies in the country, offering a diverse menu, from their flagship ham, Jamon Cagayan de Oro, to a wide range of food products including pork barbecue, Tocino de Cagayan, fresh native chorizo, beef pastrami, smoked country bacon, and longganisa de Cagayan.
That’s not all.
For meat lovers who want to try the different SLERS products without having to buy an entire pack of smoked ham or a whole kilo of tocino, they offer the SLERS Express Meals diner. The place to go if you want to check out their high-quality food products or simply want to grab a bite of your favorite traditional Filipino meal.
The diner offers a great selection of different meat products prepared just the way you like it.
The SLERS Express Meals Menu at Student-Friendly Prices
Apart from the quality, SLERS is also known for the reasonable prices of their meat products. The express meal diner continues the tradition of providing topnotch food at affordable prices. Their student-friendly meals are among the most popular, since a large chunk of the diner’s clientele, and even their food stalls, are students.
Here are some of the food items you will find on their eclectic menu:
- Hamdesal Sandwich – A popular item on the menu, the hamdesal sandwich is a delicious treat, combining the pandesal—a classic Filipino favorite—with a slice of SLERS sweet ham and fresh lettuce. It’s the perfect affordable meal for someone on the go.
- Grilled Pork Belly – For any meat lover, the pork belly is one of the most beloved hog parts. You add SLERS’ time-tested preparation and cooking techniques in the mix, and you have a delicious and satisfying meal that’s not too heavy on the wallet.
- Ham and Cheese Sandwich – A classic combo. SLERS quality ham and cheese stuffed in bread, is there anything else better?
- Tocino Meal – Before Litlit first introduced the tocino back in the day, sweet meat was virtually unheard of in CDO. Today, it’s one of the most popular meat products among Kagay-anons, especially when it’s from SLERS.
- Chicharice – Kagay-anons are among the biggest fans of SLERS chicharon, another creation that has made SLERS a truly multi-product business. And one of the reasons why it’s so popular is because it’s more than just a snack. SLERS chicharon is just as good, if not better, as a meal by pairing it with fried rice.
Those are just a few of the offerings you can find at the SLERS express meal diner. In addition, they also offer a couple of equally tasty desserts at very affordable prices; the coco banana flan and the buko pandan.
You can check out these delicious and affordable meals in one of two locations; at the ground floor of Gaisano City, along Corrales Ave. and at the South Bank Plaza Bldg., along the corner of Velez and Yacapin Streets.
So what are you waiting for? Call you friends and head over to SLERS Express Meals and fill your tummies with amazing dishes that are masterfully created and perfected by SLERS since 1969.